05 November 2014

Trends: Now You Seem Them, Now You Don't

Trend.Trendy. On the hit list. In style. There are so many ways to put the word "trendy" into every fashion lover's vocabulary. It needs to stop! Just because something is on trend or cool, does not mean everyone can or should wear it. Having something be a trend normally means it is supported by famous celebrities, who then wear it constantly, and try to influence us to wear what they are wearing, no matter how heinous. Most trends are things that were in fashion before, went out of style, and are now being brought back. Case in point: shearling jackets, crop tops, jelly sandals, and matching outfits. All of these things became "trendy" again this year, when in reality we've seen it all before. Flashback to the 90's and you will find all of these trends well and alive on many red carpets.


True, I like everyone else am guilty of getting carried away with a trend. When I was in sixth grade and everyone I knew had Converse, I had to have them ( I still own and wear this same pair). So it's not to say that all trends are bad, just the notion that whatever someone in some magazine says is, " in or out" must be followed. Every year I read these silly lists around New Year's and laugh at how outrageous they are. For the record, taking skinny jeans on and off the list does not mean I will stop wearing them, I will always wear them. What is a nuisance to me is that young teenagers who are just trying to figure out what looks good on them, are reading these lists and being swayed by what's written in print. I'm not saying trends are bad. In fact they bring to light a lot of things I like that have otherwise been ignored by the population. For example, 90's style is apparently "back" which includes short shift dresses, a staple of my wardrobe for many years. The 90's  also bring back one of my most hated pieces: the denim skirt. I cringe just thinking about one. However, now that they are trendy again, I see them everywhere online, in stores, and even my favorite denim brands are putting them out. I just cannot stand them. I have only seen one person pull it off, Olivia Palermo, and even though she pulls it off, I am still not persuaded to wear one. The thing to remember about trends is this:embrace the ones you like and think are worth investing in, but do it for you, not because you think you should and Vogue says it's cool.

 It seems every season something is in or out of style and we the people, if we want to be considered fashionable, must follow the rules. Forget the rules! The best way to know what works for you is to spend the time trying on different brands, types of clothing, and see what looks best on you. It has taken me what seems like forever to finally find what I like best on me, but I have found it. For me personally, I know I love to wear: great skinny jeans, button-ups, floral, shift dresses, blazers, and a nice fitting jacket. I like to wear a nice, put-together outfit and then add something a little different. For example, I love wearing a sweet, lace dress but then adding some nice leather boots or a jacket to give it some edge. When I look back on photos of me in high school and college, I, like anyone else cringe. It takes ages to find what looks good on your body, and your personal style is always changing, so let it. Ignore the lists, the guides, and the trends. Wear what you feel comfortable in and what you think looks great, because that's what matters. Just because I write on here that I love a sweater//skirt combo, doesn't mean you have to love it, it's just an idea to help broaden your outfit ideas. Forget the rules, always do you!

Here are some of the trends I wish would disappear forever:

1. Camo

Camo is a trend that really needs to go away. It is only appropriate to wear if you are in the military, if not it looks tacky. I first remember seeing camo on Destiny's Child promoting "Survivor", an amazing song from their fantastic, girl-power cd. However, those were costumes worn for performing, not replicating. Since then, everyone from Jay-Z to Olivia Palermo to Gwen Stefani has been spotted wearing camo, whether a skirt, jacket, shirt, or jeans.  I understand thinking a camo jacket will make you look tough and edgy, but I just don't like it.  Wearing head to toe camo? Awful, and a bit disrespectful. I understand that camo is thought of as cool, but let's be honest, it's based off the uniforms of our military, so let's leave it to them please.










(Photo Credit: RCF, Who What Wear)

Try: Instead of wearing army print, try adding the olive green color into your wardrobe. It looks great in a fitted blazer, or even in some skinny work pants for a pop of color.



2. Pointy, Dangerous Fake Nails

Aside from being bad for your nails, fake nails look ridiculous. You're not fooling anyone, we all know they're fake! As Regina George would say , " Stop trying to make fake nails happen, they're not going to happen!."  The other day, I saw a woman tapping her FOUR INCH fake nails outside her car to the beat of her song. Inappropriate. What happens if you need to pick something up or cook dinner? Impossible. The only thing long, pointy nails are good for is scratching your back, and I suppose for self-defense. Please, just get a nice manicure on your regular nails, it will look infinitely better than the talons you are trying to make look cool.

Here are some of the guilty culprits:














( Photo Credit: Instagram, Pinterest, College Gloss)



Try: Growing your nails out a tad bit longer if you like long nails. Otherwise, always file them nicely and find a nice nail polish you like. I recommend anything by Essie. Their polishes come in a variety of gorgeous hues, and don't chip easily.


3. Jean Skirts

I cringe when I think of jean skirts. I am just not a fan. I do not think they look good on anyone. There are so many alternatives to jean skirts, I don't understand why they keep coming back in style. They do nothing to flatter your figure, they just sit there looking like a tiny swatch of fabric. I admit, in high school I had a white Hollister denim skirt. It shames me to admit it, but I am an honest person. Now that they are back full force, I can see clearly how heinous they are and what a mistake I made at the age of 14. However, I was a naive 14 year old, I am  now seeing the trend on adults. Even worse are the denim pencil skirts and maxi skirts that I have seen online. U-G-L-Y. It's not 2002 anymore people, let's embrace change please. I, like most people love denim. I love jeans, chambray shirts, jean jackets and the occasional denim dress. However, I buy all of these things to flatter and show off my body, which jean skirts never do. I understand wanting to just throw on something easy, and run out of the house, but never go for a denim skirt. I would rather see you wearing some comfy sweatpants in public, then an ill-fitting jean skirt.


Try not to cover your eyes at these celebrities guilty of wearing denim skirts:











(Photo Credit: InStyle, Star Style, Celeb Style)



Try: Wearing a form fitting pencil skirt, or if you want a mini, try a Pleasure Doing Business skirt, or a skater style skirt. These styles look great, and are guaranteed to give your more shape than a tiny piece of denim fabric.



4. Leather Sweatpants

When I think leather pants, I think rock and roll, tight fitting, skinny leather pants. I do not imagine leather sweatpants, or leather baggy jeans. Sadly, loose leather pants were big this year and were seen on a lot of people. I understand wanting to be comfortable, however, leather sweatpants definitely don't come to mind when I think of comfort. Aren't you hot? Don't they stick to your legs when you walk? If anyone can answer these questions for me, please do. These baggy leather pants are a hot topic in the fashion world. You either love or hate them. I definitely relate to the latter, and my mind won't be swayed on this. Sadly, most people don't agree with me, and everyone from Lily Collins to Rihanna has been seen in loose leather pants. I don't care how many fashion bloggers, celebrities, and magazines think baggy, loose leather pants are fashionable, I don't buy it.


Examples of how not to wear leather:






( Side note: How ridiculous does Kanye West  look in these rolled up leather pants? After all his talk about how he has amazing fashion sense, and is a fashion icon, what's his excuse for this outfit? I am not impressed or inspired by this outfit, Kanye. )














This is what I picture every time I think of baggy leather pants:

Tempted to wear these pants now? If you want to look like Justin Bieber, go for it.

(Photo Credit: Getty Images, Star Style, Pocket Trendy, Daily Mail, flickr)

Try: Some fitted leather (faux or real) pants. They instantly make whatever you're wearing have an edgier look, and are extremely flattering. I own these from J Brand and feel instantly cooler the moment I put them on my body.




What do you think of trends? What are some trends you are loving now? Do you like any of these trends I've written off? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment